Halitosis or mouth odor is one of the most common problems experienced by many people, and sometimes regarded as something shameful. During this oral hygiene area is less attention, thus triggering the development of various diseases such as caries, gingivitis, tartar until bad breath.
The following are some of the most common cause of mouth odor:
- Stacking food: piling leftovers mouth feel is the most common cause of mouth odor. Food particles are transformed into the anaerobic bacteria producing bad breath like rotten eggs.
- Tooth decay: Tooth decay (caries) by bacteria is the main agents that cause mouth odor. Rotten teeth that can lead to demineralization causing halitosis (mouth odor).
- Dry mouth (Xerostomia): Saliva has much antibacterial content. When there is a reduction or even none at all saliva in the oral cavity, this can lead to a buildup of plaque that helped the growth of bacteria that cause mouth odor.
- Gum disease: Gum disease and periodontal disease is an important causative agent of mouth odor.
- Smoking: In addition to damaging health, smoking habits can also lead to mouth odor. This is caused due to an accumulation of nicotine, tar and foul-smelling substances other in the oral cavity.
- Super-strict diet: Apart from other hazards that may affect health, severe dieting can also cause mouth odor caused by ketoacidosis due to prolonged starvation.
- Sources from outside the mouth: In addition to the damage to the teeth and gums, cause mouth odor can also come from outside, such as respiratory tract infections, diabetes and kidney dysfunction.